Château de Pourtalès
The CEPA European Study Center Château de Pourtalès is a 250-year-old fairytale castle nestled gracefully in a beautiful park just minutes from the EU institutions and the historical center of one of Europe’s most dynamic and multi-cultural cities, Strasbourg, France. The Château de Pourtalès has witnessed nearly 300 of the most compelling years in the history of Western Europe and graciously welcomed some of Europe’s most notable nobility, diplomats, dignitaries, musicians, philosophers and poets.
Today, the Château continues to offer its hospitality to guests from all over the world. University level study abroad students, policy-makers, business leaders, as well as private travelers enjoy the quiet setting just minutes away from the bustling center of Strasbourg. As a student at the European Study Center, you will stay in shared rooms at the chateau, enjoy a catered French breakfast every morning, have free access to an international phone, student kitchen, library, and computer lab.
Take your first step toward studying abroad.
Find your program
Study Abroad at the European Study Center
The European Study Center in Strasbourg, France is operated by the CEPA Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to offering high-quality study abroad programs that positively impact personal, academic, and career goals of students. We also seek to foster intercultural and cross-cultural dialogue, encouraging international collaborative research, leadership, and professional development, and improve the quality of life for underprivileged families in developing countries. Semester and Summer Programs at the Chateau de Pourtales are offered through the CEPA Foundation, in collaboration with the University of Strasbourg, and in partnership with its affiliate partner universities in the USA.
The ESC Strasbourg Program is designed to:
- Be an interdisciplinary program, bringing together a broad range of courses including political science, economics, business, management, history, art, languages, literature and culture.
- Increase intercultural competence through integration into the French education system and through firsthand experience with everyday life.
- Develop leadership, intercultural communication, and foster personal growth.
The Fall and Spring Semester Programs offer two separate academic tracks to fit the study abroad needs of all students:
- European Politics / EU Studies
- International and European Business
The Summer Leadership Program offers two courses to help students hone their leadership and intercultural skills:
- Intercultural Leadership
- Intercultural Communication
All students at the European Study Center receive:
- Cultural immersion and professional experiences through the integrated field trips
- 2 specially designed courses to meet the academic needs of their program
- Regular university courses taught in English (courses taught in French are also available)
- An extensive cultural and social program
- Housing options: in a historical French castle
- Personal support from our on-site team in Strasbourg
The Semester Program is open to both upper-division undergraduate and graduate students from accredited institutions in the United States and abroad. The Summer Leadership Program is open to undergraduate students from accredited institutions in the United States and abroad.
The Château offers everything needed for your study abroad:
- Support from on-site team
- Free daily breakfast
- Classrooms and seminar space
- Furnished student rooms
- Free wireless internet access and computer lab
- Student kitchen, student lounge, and TV room
- Free international phone
- Bicycles (free with deposit)
- Laundry facilities
- Safe neighborhood