The program fee includes the following:
- Full time enrollment at the University of Strasbourg
- 15 US semester credits
- Registration fees in Strasbourg
- Official transcripts from the University of Strasbourg and West Virginia University
(Students from the UGA system who receive the HOPE scholarship can alternatively choose to enroll in the Semester Program through Georgia State University so that they can use their scholarship toward the program fee. Mercer University students will enroll directly through their own school for the program.)
- Students have the option to live in the Château de Pourtalés, homestay, or student housing in the city.
Château de Pourtalés: Double occupancy rooms with shared bathrooms are available at the castle as well as free use of campus facilities – classrooms, lounges, a computer lab, wi-fi access throughout the facility, a library, laundry facilities, a breakfast room, a student lounge, and complimentary yoga classes. Breakfast is also included on a daily basis for students who choose to stay at the Château. Recreational facilities are located on the premises and nearby.
- ** Please note that the Spring semester European Politics / EU Studies Track lasts 8 weeks longer than the Fall semester and additional housing costs will apply.
- Welcome reception and group dinner at the start of the semester
- Delicious French breakfast buffet is included every day at the Château de Pourtalès
- Tarte flambeé group dinner
- Group dinner at a restaurant in Brussels
- Special holiday group meal, depending on the season
- Farewell group dinner at the end of the semester
Optional: A cash allowance of $1,500 can be purchased in advance and distributed in the local currency throughout the semester to cover costs of the remaining meals not included in your program fee.
Signature events included in the ESC Program:
- Participation in the “Castle Talks” international symposium
- International Career Seminar – we want to help you succeed and get the most out of your semester
- Community Engagement opportunities at local organizations during the semester
- Yoga classes are offered once a week at the castle. Students can join the classes free of charge.
Trips and Site Visits:
- Visit to the European Parliament
- Visit to the Council of Europe
- Visit to the EURO Institute
Brussels, Belgium and Verdun*:
- During your 3 day trip to Brussels, you will visit 3-4 European or international institutions – e.g. European Commission, Council of the European Union, SHAPE, US Mission and / or World Bank Group
- Visit to the German Central Bank in Frankfurt
- Visit to the German Stock Exchange in Frankfurt
- Visit to the German Federal Constitutional Court (Bundesverfassungsgericht) in Karlsruhe
Cultural visits and social activities*:
- Audio tour of the Haut Koenigsbourg Castle (self guided)
- Visit the former concentration camp Struthof
- Day trip to the city of Heidelberg, Germany. Walking tour and visit to the famous Heidelberg Castle
- Guided walking tour of Strasbourg
- Admission to the Historical Museum in Strasbourg
- Company visit, e.g. to an automobile company in Rastatt
- Special seasonal party at the castle, depending on the semester: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.
- Free use of the student kitchen at the castle
*Activities listed above are based on availability and will vary each semester.
Language and support from the on-site team:
- 6 hours of basic French
- Orientation session and on-site team who will provide you with personal support before, during, and after the program
Health and Safety
- Personal support and assistance from the on-site team in Strasbourg for health and safety issues
- One group pick-up will be arranged for all students who arrive at Frankfurt International Airport on the official arrival day and time
- Public transportation pass for Strasbourg for the duration of the program
- All ground transfers for the official activities and excursions included in the program
- Free use of computer lab and internet access at the castle
- International health insurance and the French Social Securité insurances are included in the program fee
What is not included in the program fee:
- Meals not listed
- Round trip airfare or excess baggage charges
- Housing costs before or after the program dates
- Transportation to your departure airport at the end of the program
- Visa and passport expenses (incl. OFII fee which will need to be paid on-site)
- Room deposits (refundable)
- Personal and misc. expenses